The Cartier Love Bracelet sky rocketed to fame and sits up there with the most sought after and coveted pieces in the fashion industry. And it’s not only because it’s hard to take off (each bracelet is fastened on the wearer’s wrist and can only be taken apart using a tiny screwdriver), but this piece of fine jewellery boats a modern sophistication which appeals to the masses. From Jennifer Aniston to Cameron Diaz and Angelina Jolie to Kanye West (who wears three at a time no less!), there won’t be one A-lister you can find that doesn’t own this bracelet.
So, whilst we can’t divulge all our top tips to spotting a fake (we don’t authenticate and tell!), we’ve decided to share a few of our key points for you to look out for.
Cartier Love bracelets are either crafted with 18K Gold or Platinum. The gold color may vary (white, rose or yellow), however the stamp will always remain the same; 750 stamp for the 18K gold bracelet and 950 stamp for the platinum bracelet.
- The first step is identifying metal type and purity by searching for said stamp and gold hallmarks. Make sure that both metal type and karat type match the stamps.
- The karat type should always be mentioned on both halves of the bracelet.
- The Love bracelet always features either 1, 4 or 10 diamonds, which are set with brilliant-cut, weighing approximately 0.1 ct each. Apart from the pure gold bracelet, which has no diamonds at all.
2. Cartier Signature &
The “Cartier” signature and all other engravings are always very clean and featured in a specific font, which may vary depending on the year of production.
3. Bracelet Size
This will always be mentioned on the inside of the bracelet. It will either read 16, 17, 18,19 or 20 – the number of inches of the diameter.
4. Unique Serial Number
Each Cartier jewel features a serial number which is unique to that jewel. There are no Cartier jewels with the same serial number. The format of the serial number has changed over the years as production and popularity has increased. They can be composed by the following:
- 5 digits and 1 letter (12345 A)
- 2 letters 4 digits (example AA 1234)
- 3 letters and 3 digits (example ABC 999). This format has recently been introduced.
5. Gemstone Setting
The jewels will also be noticeable from the inside of the bracelet, set in a regular hexagonal shape.