Most fashion enthusiasts of the world know what the Fendi Baguette is. And if you don’t, we suggest you quickly (and we mean, the speed of light quickly) acquaint yourself with the first it bag in history.
Fendi Baguette — A History!
The year was 1997 and of all the things that happened in fashion that year, the birth of the Baguette bag in our minds was the most glorious! Fendi may not have been the industry stalwart then but it certainly became one when it launched the stunning handbag. A result of going against all rules of the minimalistic 90s, this rebellious creation was the brainchild of Silvia Venturini Fendi.
The bag’s design was deemed questionable in the eyes of the House, but its creator powered through the criticism, bringing the ‘too small & the too glamorous’ bag to the fore. 24 years have passed since and the Baguette remains an icon that the brand celebrates enthusiastically.
A bag designed to be cradled just under the arm, the Fendi Baguette was rather unknown until it shot to fame when it became a constant prop in the famous television series—Sex and the City. The show made the Baguette and Fendi household names overnight. From inducing waitlists to taking over conversations, the Baguette became so popular that within one year, the label had sold over a hundred thousand bags (say Baguettes)!
We say ‘Fendi’, you say ‘Baguette’
Sometimes we like to play the devil’s advocates and wonder why the bag became so integral to the handbag scene. Here are a few reasons that come to mind:
- Name: A take on the baton-style bread that the French are seen carrying eloquently under their arms. This not only adds a fun element but instantly creates a visual that is chic and easily emulated.
- Style: The Baguette bag is a study in dualities. Structured and yet soft around the edges, small but everything about it is big & bold and of course, the ability to be a classic whilst keeping up with changing trends.
- Variety: The Baguette is available in so many different versions that it is a feat to keep track of them. The brand agreed that it was an almost impossible task and commissioned a book to catalog the models. The Baguette Book by Rizzoli is a go-to for Baguette aficionados and highlights 250 of them in all their splendid glory.
- Glamour: The creations carry the iconic Fendi logo (the inverted Zucca) created by Karl Lagerfeld in 1965. The logo is recognizable and lends even more clout to the Baguette.
- Relevance: The Baguette has time and again returned to the fashion scene, always creating waves and garnering new followers. Fendi’s revamp of the classic bag for Summer 2021 in tandem with the reboot of the beloved show—Sex and the City—proves to be another milestone in the bag’s celebrated journey.
“This is not a bag, it’s a Baguette”
From being a pop-culture symbol to an icon, the Fendi Baguette is a collector’s item that will always be in style. Whether you invest in the classic Zucca version, the various leather iterations, the embellished pieces, the maxi, or even the fur ones—the Baguette simply settles under your arm and brings you in the company of some of the most stylish people in the world.
Like a blank slate, the Baguette has the ability to transform into a creation for every occasion. Every season promises something new and something covetable, keeping the ever-growing clique of Baguette lovers wanting more! Here are 5 of our favorite Fendi Baguettes:
Mimicking the classic silhouette of the 1997 Baguette, this sleek creation will shine every time the light hits its glamorous silver exterior. Crafted from logo-embossed fabric that creates an illusion of depth, the Baguette is adorned with tonal hardware and a simple flat handle that is adjustable. The compact bag will hold its own at an evening party and elevate your ensembles with ease.
A statement piece through and through, this micro double Baguette is a creation that will keep on giving. The small silhouette has a lot going on, from the flaps on each side to the colorful studs that contrast deeply with the grey-hued leather exterior. With the ability to house a lot more than you think, it is equipped with a flat top handle and a shoulder strap.
The classic Zucca canvas is the predominant element of this Mamma Baguette. While the Tobacco colorway makes it instantly desirable, the leather trims and gold-tone hardware add the finishing touches to propel it into a timeless find one just cannot do without! This one is very hard to get and we suggest you grab it ASAP.
The Baguette gets larger and even more fabulous with the Maxi style. Taking all the popular elements from the original, Fendi brings us a creation that is suited for workdays, off-duty looks, and even some casual evening ensembles. Crafted from smooth black-hued leather, this Maxi Baguette has a front flap, the iconic logo, a shoulder strap that can be doubled up, and an all-encompassing interior for your essentials.
Evenings with Baguettes can not only be stylish but also fun! This micro version gives us a lesson in glamour and glitz. The black leather exterior is adorned completely with tiny dark grey beads that shine modestly. The gleaming bag holds the promise of soirees that delight and events that elicit joy. Touched with silver-tone hardware and a chain-link strap, this one here is a beautiful example of just how irresistible Baguettes can be!
We believe that the Fendi Baguette will continue to remain an enduring fashion accessory, one that you can purchase today and hold on to for a lifetime. Such is its mystifying allure. Explore, shop, and sell new and pre-loved Baguettes here>>